Appliance Management
Serving
The Thames Valley
and South East


Please Contact Us
if you have any
further questions

0870 11 666 88
office@ampat-test.co.uk

 

A 31-year-old Kent man was electrocuted while trimming a hedge... Miguel Fernandes came into contact with overhead power lines while operating uninsulated tools in 2004.
 

 

Horror Stories

While it would appear to be common sense for companies to adhere to health and safety regulations, it is sadly common to see news reports where they have failed to fulfil their duty of care, which can result in death or injury to an employee or to a member of the public.

Here you will see just a few incidences of just those types of situations. Thankfully, the majority of companies ensure that their appliances are on a programme of electrical safety but if you have any doubts about your organisation then please do contact us for a no-obligation discussion about how we can help.

Restaurant death safety officer's plea
Source: BBC News

A restaurant safety officer has denied breaching health and safety regulations following the death of a Lincoln fast food worker.
Former Fatty Arbuckle's executive Charles Helmrich, 49, entered a not guilty plea during a brief appearance at Lincoln Magistrates Court on Friday.

Mr Helmrich was responsible for safety at the restaurant where Mark Thorne, 17, was electrocuted four years ago when he moved a plate warmer while mopping the floor at the Fatty Arbuckle's restaurant.

The plate warmer was found to have a faulty plug.

An inquest jury decided Mark, of Nightingale Crescent, Lincoln, was unlawfully killed.
When Health and Safety officers inspected the premises, 11 out of 58 electrical appliances in the restaurant were found to be faulty.

Electrocution 'was accidental'
Source: BBC News

An inquest has returned a verdict of accidental death on a Nottinghamshire man who was electrocuted at work.

Brian Pemberton from Sutton in Ashfield was killed when he opened a machine at Carnaud Metal Box Aerosols in the town.

The inquest heard the machine had a fault on its isolator switch and that Mr Pemberton, 42, may have thought the machine was switched off.

He was killed by a 75,000 volt shock in the incident

Following Friday's verdict of accidental death, the Health and Safety Executive said it was still considering whether to take legal action against the company.

Man's cable death 'was avoidable'
Source: BBC News

The death of a 31-year-old Kent man who was electrocuted while trimming a hedge could have been avoided, the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has said.

Father-of-one Miguel Fernandes came into contact with overhead power lines while operating uninsulated tools in 2004, Maidstone Crown Court was told.

RDJ Colloids Ltd admitted breaking health and safety laws and was fined 17,500 and told to pay 7500 costs.

The HSE said the death at the firm's Tonbridge base could have been avoided.

After the court hearing, HSE inspector David Fussell said: "This was an accident waiting to happen."

"The fatal injuries to Mr Fernandes were easily preventable, and the accident came about through a combination of events which included a failure to heed warnings, reliance on a fatally flawed system of work and a complete lack of control over contractors."

He said an HSE investigation had identified poor safety management on site, a failure to carry out risk assessments, and failure to provide guidance or supervision to contractors.

"An inquest jury decided Mark was unlawfully killed.....11 out of 58 electrical appliances in the restaurant were found to be faulty !"

Brian Pemberton was killed by a 75,000 volt shock, when he opened a machine...The inquest heard the machine had a fault on its isolator switch and that Mr Pemberton may have thought the machine was switched off.

 

 


Home | About Us | What Is PAT ? | Let Property | The Law & You | Our Clients | Downloads | Useful Links | Contact Us